You may have heard that Vicks Vaporub can treat nail fungus. Many people share their experience using Vicks Vaporub for treating fungal nail infections. Even though there are success stories using this product, It is still considered a myth. There are no significant studies that prove the effectivity of Vicks Vaporub in treating nail fungus. It is proven to cure other issues such as cough and colds, but not for toenail fungus
Here are the reasons why people think Vicks Vaporub can cure Toenail Fungus:
- It has a soothing effect – Nail fungus can be itchy and Vicks Vaporub has a soothing ingredient, eucalyptus. It provides quick relief and minimizes discomfort.
- It’s a staple in most households – Vicks Vaporub has been around for a long time and is trusted by many. It served as a remedy to any minor condition in the household.
- It is affordable and accessible – You can find it in any drugstore with a very cheap price tag. Vicks Vaporub can be a quick and easy substitute for expensive medication.
- Other treatments have side effects – Most people turn to home remedies to avoid the side effects that come with medication. Oral antifungal medication has side effects that can cause skin rashes, stomach issues, and even liver damage.
- Treatment for a toenail fungus takes time – Treatment for toenail fungus usually takes at least 12 weeks. People then think that applying Vicks Vaporub will achieve the same result.
There might be some evidence that Vicks Vaporub may treat nail fungus, doctors still have reservations. They are not comfortable recommending this type of treatment to their patients. This is mainly because there are limited studies about it. There is one, but it involves a small sample size of 18, which is not scientifically significant enough. Because of this, experts cannot say definitely that this product can cure fungal nail infection.
If your nails are yellow or suspect to have a fungal nail infection. Contact us to schedule a free consultation with one of our specialists. We have over 80 clinics nationwide, including Berkeley, CA