People are not worried about fungal nail infections until they get it. Prevention is more important than getting treatment. Fungi is present everywhere and they thrive in warm, dark, and moist environments. This type of environment is just like the inside of your shoe, which makes it very easy to get toenail fungus.
Fungal nail infections are caused by dermatophytes. They are microscopic organisms that feed on keratin found in nails and hair. Several factors increase your risk of getting a fungal infection. This includes having athlete’s foot and wearing the wrong size shoe.
The nail can become thick, turn yellow or brown, and brittle. When the nails grow thick, it can be painful because of the pressure it applies on the nail bed. It can also be uncomfortable when walking if wearing a closed shoe.
These habits can prevent Toenail Fungus:
- Clipping toenails correctly – Trim your toenails using sanitized nail clippers or scissors. Cut the nail straight across instead of curving the edges. You may use a nail file instead to shape your toenails.
- Wear proper-fitting shoes – don’t wear shoes that are too tight or too big. Tight shoes put pressure on your nail, causing trauma. This weakens your nails, making it susceptible to a fungal infection. Shoes that are too big on the other hand, jam your nail to the end of the shoe.
- Wear breathable footwear – if your nails have room to breathe, this allows air to circulate around your toes. This keeps your nail dry and less inviting to nail fungus.
- Switch shoes from time to time – You shouldn’t wear the same shoe 2 days in a row. This is because the she that you used yesterday may still be wet from sweat. Wearing damp shoe increases your risk of getting a toenail fungal infection.
- Avoid walking around barefoot in public areas
- Disinfect your feet regularly
- Use antifungal shoe spray
If your nails are yellow or suspect to have a fungal nail infection. Contact us to schedule a free consultation with one of our specialists. We have over 80 clinics nationwide, including Carlsbad, CA