Bleaching toenail fungus can be tempting to try out, since toenail fungus is often associated with being unclean. However, there are serious risks to putting bleach on any part of your body. To protect yourself and your body, it is necessary to understand these risks before attempting to bleach toenail fungus at home. It is important to understand the risks associated with any sort of treatment, but at home treatments can be especially risky since they aren’t performed under the guidance of a medical professional. It is in environments like this, isolated from proper medical advice, that truly dangerous treatments can be attempted. Bleaching toenail fungus is one of these very dangerous treatments.

 

Bleaching toenail fungus is risky because there is no way to ensure the bleach only contacts the toenail fungus spores. If you bleach your toenails, you are sure to get bleach on your skin or nail in the process, which can and likely will cause damage to your toes. This is because of the strength of bleach as a chemical. Cleaning products of this nature need to be strong, since the dirt they are meant to wipe away tends to be attached strongly to the surfaces they clean. However, in designing these cleaning products to be as strong as possible, it is not possible to also design them to be safe for human contact. This is why the bottle of bleach comes with a warning label on it. On this label, they explain the safe ways to handle bleach as well as the unsafe ways that bleach can be handled. It is extremely important to follow the label instructions as closely as possible to avoid serious damage to your body. These label instructions and warnings are based on evidence that bleach can cause damage to bodily tissues.

 

Bleaching toenail fungus can cause something called a chemical burn. This is a condition that happens when the skin comes into contact with powerful, destructive chemicals like bleach. Chemical burns result in the skin becoming red, irritated, and swollen. In severe cases of chemical burns, the chemical can even get into the bloodstream and cause systemic issues. Whether or not the chemical becomes systemic, the treatment of chemical burns is still a medical emergency. This means that the burn must be addressed by a medical professional as soon as possible. When left untreated, chemical burns can cause even more serious problems than they will when they are treated immediately.

 

Damage from bleaching toenail fungus will vary in intensity based on a few different factors. For one, the amount of time that the bleach is left on the skin is very important in how much damage will be caused. This is why it’s necessary to immediately wash off any bleach that gets on your skin, no matter how small the amount is. Damage from bleach will also increase in intensity with the concentration of bleach that was used. Stronger, more potent bleach will cause more damage than bleach that has been diluted. However, any bleach that comes into contact with the skin has potential to cause harm.

 

Bleaching toenail fungus can cause damage that needs to be treated by a medical professional. To address if you need to be seen by a doctor, you need to assess the damage that has been done to your skin and toe. If you only have mild irritation of the skin and all of the bleach has been removed, you likely don’t need to be seen by a doctor immediately. In this situation, you can simply monitor the condition and make sure that it starts to improve quickly. If you have a more serious condition that looks like a chemical burn, for example you notice that your skin is very red or is in a lot of pain, you need to be seen by a doctor immediately. Even if the pain is bearable, bleach can cause a lot of damage and healing from the bleach needs to be monitored by a medical professional.

 

While bleaching toenail fungus is a bad idea, there are other treatment options available for toenail fungus that are more effective and safe. However, not all of these treatments are made equal. Topical treatments for fungus are actually very weak as well, and will take a year or longer to see any results if they come at all. Oral antifungal medications are a little more effective than topicals, but these medications come with risk of severe side effects like liver toxicity.

The best option to treat toenail fungus is the PinPointe laser, which typically requires only one treatment to eliminate the fungus. This is the best laser, as compared to other options on the market which require 4 or more treatments to eliminate the fungus. It is also completely safe, with no risk of major side effects like the oral medication. To learn more about the PinPointe laser, visit our website here.