Using bleach to treat toenail fungus is something that people sometimes try as a last resort for treating the condition. However, even as a last resort this treatment is not a good idea. Toenail fungus can be a very difficult condition to manage, and it is understandable why some people would want to try using bleach to cure it. However, you should know all of the information that is available on this treatment, and any treatment that you do want to get, before you actually get it done. This is important with any procedure so that you understand the risks and benefits of each individual treatment. Once you have gotten all of the information that is available, you can then make an educated decision on whether or not a treatment is right for you. The information on using bleach on toenail fungus is abundant, and it is overwhelmingly negative. 

 

Using bleach to treat toenail fungus has implications for the health and wellness of your toe and nail. Because this procedure involves putting the bleach onto the skin and toenail, the chemical can affect the health of these organs. Bleach is a very dangerous, toxic chemical. It has serious interactions with the human body, and can cause serious disturbances in the balance of the body’s health. By putting bleach on your toes, you are exposing yourself to a dangerous chemical that can cause lasting damage to your body.

 

For example, using bleach to treat toenail fungus can cause severe chemical burns. Chemical burns are the most common injury that results from using dangerous chemicals like bleach. These burns form as the chemical interacts with, damages, and irritates the skin. Bleach is particularly damaging and dangerous because of how basic it is: ammonia bleach is one of the most basic chemicals available. Putting undiluted bleach on any part of your body is likely to lead to a chemical burn of some sort, and these chemical burns can be difficult to treat. By using bleach on your skin, you are setting yourself for more trips to the doctor than if you were seen for the toenail fungus by a podiatrist originally. Diluted bleach poses a less serious risk of chemical burns than undiluted bleach, but it is still very dangerous to attempt that treatment. 

 

Chemical burns from using bleach to treat toenail fungus are often a medical emergency that requires urgent medical care to prevent long lasting damage. If you have used a chemical like bleach on your skin, wash it off thoroughly immediately and assess the damage. If you have signs of a very severe chemical burn, like throbbing pain, blistering, pus formation, or other symptoms of a severe chemical burn, you must be seen by a medical professional as soon as possible. This is not a condition that you can treat at home, because chemical burns can get worse over time if not treated by a medical professional.

 

Using bleach to treat toenail fungus is also a bad idea because of how ineffective it is. Simply put, ammonia bleach is not an effective antifungal agent because it wasn’t designed for this purpose. To treat toenail fungus effectively, bleach would need to penetrate the toenail itself to get under the nail bed. However, getting under the nail bed is one of the difficulties of treating toenail fungus, and isn’t easy to accomplish. Prescription antifungal medications often struggle with doing this effectively, and they have been designed for that explicit purpose. Even if the bleach can get under the nail, it won’t kill all of the fungus. You will be left with fungal spores that will continue to grow after the treatment. Additionally, if the bleach somehow does make its way into the nail bed, you are likely in store for an even worse chemical burn than if it hadn’t. 

 

The information about using bleach to treat toenail fungus is all overwhelmingly negative. This information should lead you to the conclusion that bleach is not a good treatment for toenail fungus infection. If you have a toenail fungus, you should receive an FDA-approved treatment from a licensed podiatrist to see the best results. FDA-approved treatments have evidence backing their effectiveness, and are also required to be safe. By receiving an FDA-approved treatment from a licensed podiatrist, you will avoid the negative damages that DIY treatments like bleach can cause. 

The best treatment for fungus available is the PinPointe laser. This treatment is FDA-approved and typically requires only one treatment to completely eliminate the fungus from the nail bed. It also is completely safe, and has no risk of side effects. Compared to the oral medication, this is a big benefit because there are less limitations on who can get the treatment done. In fact, the only people who can’t get the PinPointe laser are diabetic patients with severe neuropathy. To see all of our 150 the podiatry clinics for PinPointe laser, visit our page here.