Between men and women, men turn out to be more likely to contract a toenail fungus than women. The older you are, the higher your chances are.
Diabetics, people with athlete’s foot, people who are immunocompromised, smokers, swimmers, and surfers are also put at more risk for developing onychomycosis. Since the fungus is very contagious, people that live with someone who has a toe fungus would also have a higher risk of getting the fungus.
To decrease your chances of contracting an unsightly toenail fungus, some simple precautions can go a long way to keeping your toes fungus free:
- Wear shoes in spas, swimming pools, public showers, and locker rooms
- Wear sweat absorbing socks
- Changing your socks often, especially after doing exercise
- Cleaning your feet with soap and water
- Drying out your shoes before wearing them again if they get wet
If you have toenail fungus and have questions, contact us to schedule a free consultation with one of our doctors. We have over 65 locations coast to coast.